Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Book Review: The Screwtape Letters



Our homegroup started our 2nd study a couple months ago. We finished up Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas and decided to work through The Screwtape Letters. I've always wanted to read this book but honestly C.S. Lewis has always intimidated me. I've attempted Mere Christianity before and couldn't make it past the first couple of pages. Well we had to work through the book pretty fast to stick with our meeting schedule which I think actually helped me get through it. This book was quite the eye-opener. Basically it is letters written between two demons, an uncle to his nephew, trying to educate him on the manipulation of humans. They are writing to a man who just became a Christian and they call him their "patient". It is an intricate portrait of the evil forces working against believers at all times and really makes you reflect on what is really going on around us. Each chapter is only 3-4 pages and typically covers one subject- family, friends you surround yourself with, sex, time, fear/anxiety, church, etc. It is crazy to think that your mind can be controlled by evil whether it be distractions, manipulation of thoughts, or temptations. This was probably one of my favorite books just because of the knowledge and insight I gained from reading it. It forces you to rely on God even more for protection and strength. After reading the book our leaders asked us to write our own letter between two demons with ourselves being the "patient". Wow, what a process. The letter almost became half testimony and half analysis of sins we struggle with and how the devil can tempt us. It forced me to work through my past and then associate that with what I struggle with now. I was able to pinpoint my weaknesses where I am most likely to be tempted. Each week our homegroup gets together, we split up in guys and girls and share a couple of letters. It allows us to get to know everyone's backgrounds and where we can step in as a family in Christ and help each other, whether it be encouragement, prayer or anything one would need. As we call it on our group, it's "going deeper" :) Anyways, definitely pick up a copy of this book and stick with it, it won't disappoint!

No comments:

Post a Comment